Top Ten Tuesday: those authors I always wanted to read, but felt too intimidated to start some of their series

If you’re new to my blog,  welcome to Top Ten Tuesday. It’s held over at That Artsy Reader Girl, where every week bloggers list their top 10 being asked about.  This week’s topic is actually supposed to be about books with numbers in their titles, but as you can see, I did something else entirely.

I’m not entirely certain this topic makese sense, so let me set the scene: there are many authors who have been around for so long that their most famous series extends well into the high teens in terms of numbers. Some may be easy to pick up at any stage, others are all interlocked and you’ll need to know what came before — > these are the authors I am talking about. It’s on me BTW that I haven’t gotten around to reading them, and sometimes that’s really in part bc I don’t want to read something set in the 1990s either.

I wish blurbs would include more whether something can be read on its own even though it’s part of a series.

Patricia Cornwell: I actually started her Kay Scarpetta series ages ago, but at some point there was too much time between books and it kind of fell off my radar. I’d like to go back though.

Val McDermid: Same here with her Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series.

Ann Cleeves: I am going to be posting a review of The Long Call, her newest soon, but that this is a new series is the only reason I picked up one of her books.

John Sanford: I have been growing more curious about his Lucas Davenport series, the first of which was published in 1989. Yikes. However, I am going to try diving into his Virgil Flowers series instead — book 12 to be exact. (I’m a sucker for a good blurb, what can I say)

Jeffery Deaver: Lincoln Rhyme. I admit the movie The Bone Collector brought these to my attention and I think I read one or two around then. But again, this fell off my radar and I’m only now thinking about going back.

There are more of course, but these have been on my mind recently. Which authors would be on your list??

Gillian Flynn probably for me- I’ve been wanting to try her stuff for a while. Maybe Ann Cleeves too, ever since I found out she wrote the Shetland books, since I like the show.

I liked The long Call, so I hope Cleeves starts a new series soon. I couldn’t bring myself to Try Flynn. The hype around her just did my interest in.

• Great topic! Gillian Flynn is a good one for me too. I have no idea why I keep putting her off, but I want to try her. Terry Pracett as well.

Terry Prachett! YES! I read Good Omens which he did with Gaiman and it was sooo good! The hype around Flynn was just so crazy it turned me off her entirely. I have no interest to try her books though and that I put down to the incessant “For Fans of Gillian Flynn” marketing that came after her books were published.

• tirilu says:

“The Bone collector” is one of my favourites of all time. I never quite got into the Kathrin Dance books but I quite liked those.
    The first Val McDermid book is also on my TBR but it has been there a while and I don’t know if I will ever get to read it.
    David Baldacci comes to mind as well, the more I think of it. Have you read any of his books?

Oh yes, I started reading Baldacci’s Memory Man series! It’s so good — I’ve got my reviews on my blog here — but I will say the last one made me realise I am beginning to need something more from the series.

• Lydia says:

Your theme makes a lot of sense to me. I have the same reaction to very prolific authors, especially if their series spans dozens of books.

My TTT.

I liked the first Patricia Cornwell books, but gradually lost interest in her later books with no interest in returning. I’ve only read one of the Virgil Flowers books, but I have the new one to try. Val McDermid had a couple of series that I’ve enjoyed and stand-alones, too, and I look forward to anything from her. Love Anne Cleeves’ Vera Stanhope books.

Now, when I find a new-to-me series with a long back list is satisfying because I have someone to turn to when I’m not finding books that interest me.

You have a good point about a backlist being somewhere to turn to when nothing else is interesting. Also — the Vera Stanhope series is one that I have been curious about too — and about the show as well.

• Oooh I totally get this! I hate when this happens, and it’s usually the more hyped and loved an author is the more hesitant I am about reading them.
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk

• I like your topic and it makes a lot of sense. When I think of long series, I usually think of urban fantasy because there’s some I’d like to read but they’ve went on for so long that I would have to spend tons of time catching up. And then there are ones that go on forever which should have ended but I have up on – Anita Blake I’m looking at you.

Oh honey, I’m with you on Anita Blake — that should have ended ages ago. And The Harry Dresden ones as well., IMO.

• Ooh great topic! There are tons of authors whose books I’m too intimidated to pick up. Most of them are non-fiction and classics, but a lot of sci-fi too, like Ursula Le Guin. Patricia Cornwell would be on my list as well!

My TTT post

Ursula Le Guin is definitely another author that is on my list. I should have included more scifi and fantasy authors on my list actually. Most of Neil Gaiman’s work would be on there!

• These are some good ones. There are quite a few authors that I’d love to read series from, but I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the number of books in the series, so I tend to push them aside. Others I just can’t get from the library system here. Ugh.

• Cholla says:

Yes to all of these. I recently picked up the first Jack Reacher book over the weekend and am scared to start it. There are so many books in this series!

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

Haaaa! Oh I am so going to need your review of it! I hear you about being scared to start something that iconic? epic?

• Interesting topic! I like to start series from the beginning, so it takes me a while to get caught up sometimes.

• I totally get what you mean by that! I think I feel that way about S.A. Chakraborty and that’s why I haven’t picked up her books yet. But I totally will! Great post <3 I'm glad you did this twist. It makes me want to think about that.

• I totally get where you’re coming from on this and I think Patricia Cornwell would make my list as well.

I get intimidated by authors with a huge backlist, too! Diane Chamberlain is one that comes to mind – I loved the Dream Daughter and I wanted to read more from her, but she has like 20 books and I just feel overwhelmed even trying to go through and find more I might like! Also, I agree with you, I don’t necessarily want to read books set in the 90s – they feel so dated!

• Interesting take on the topic! I didn’t think to go for series that have lots of books. I sometimes find it intimidating when there are LOADS of them but sometimes I like it because it means if I love the series I have lots to enjoy, lol.

• I liked The Bone Collector movie. Still haven’t picked up the author though…

Lauren @ Always Me