TTT: Settings I’d like to see more of (or not any more)

If you’re new to my blog,  welcome to Top Ten Tuesday. It’s held over at That Artsy Reader Girl, where every week bloggers list their top 10 being asked about.  This week’s topic is about those settings I’d like to see more of — or those I would like to see less of.

I’d decided to do this as more as stuff I’d like to see more of in books, and stuff I’d like to see less of — I guess in terms of tropes, plot points and the like.

Less arranged marriage tropes featuring Indian or Muslim characters. I get why they’re popular, and the scope for humour is outstanding — and I love them myself. BUT. I feel like most recently, those are the only ones getting the publicity push into the public consciousness. Is there not more to be said about Indian, Muslim characters?

More about Woman in titles and less Girls. How has Girl not had it’s day yet?

More Australian crime stories. Please!

Less about women heading to small towns because they’re disgraced for some reason in larger towns and need to go off to lick their wounds, recover and find themselves embroiled in something in the small town.

Older characters can be more fascinating than younger ones. Give them their due and attention that they deserve.

More access to diverse authors on Audible Australia. It frustrates me no end I can’t get AA Dhand’s Harry Virdee series on there — and he’s a UK writer, who happens to be Indian.

More due to given to cosy mysteries and the joy, intelligent writing and awesome cases they bring to readers.

That’s it for me! What would you like to see more of or less on if your reading?

• Hmmm… I think perhaps I’d like to see more brown characters living normal lives that aren’t in the middle of “issue” books. My biracial kids should be able to see themselves as a prince or princess, fighting the dragon, or falling in love and doing the same things that white kids do… while issue books have their place, brown kids live in the suburbs too.

This is great! I’d like to see “women” instead of “girls” too, and older characters as well. I read a book recently with an older protagonist and it was nice refreshing change.

I agree about cosies. And I’d like to see more Aussie fiction, I’ve been trying a few authors and I like the Australian settings too.

You would think given the climate, women would overtake girls in titles, but nope. Honestly. ANd yes, I agree, older protagonists can provide so much more — and something different too, I think.

• I can do with less books set in fancy homes where the wealthy, privileged people are not nice to anyone they think is less than them.

More really good, thoughtful writing that engages the senses and gives me something to think about after finishing the book.

Less name-dropping to describe clothing, a purse or shoes. Less following the crowd after an author has a successful plot, title, or cover. Fewer deliberate manipulative twists.

Nice — and a YES to the name dropping. Gets old really fast. As does “If you liked blah-blah-blah” so they must like every book like that. I get the attraction for a twist, but yes, it needs to be organic and work within the context of the book.

• Lydia says:

I couldn’t agree more with your list. Good points.

My TTT.

Yes yes yes to more “women” and less “girls”! It can feel so demeaning.

• Nice twist and yes, I agree about the use of “women.” However, I’m pretty much done with the entire “girl” trend altogether.

• Poinsettia says:

Nice take on this week’s topic! I like a good cosy mystery too. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

• I agree with all of these. Especially more about Woman in titles!

It’s like they’re afraid people won’t want to read about Women as opposed to the non-threatening, bad things are okay to happen to “girl”

• Old characters are hit or miss for me. I think that’s because I mostly read romance. Older people romance stories can get dated sometimes. I like when they feel fresh. I have read some good ones lately, though. Beth Flynn’s Better Than This was one I liked. Great topic choices!

Oooh, I shall have to check out Better than this! I recently read a book — The Carer — which was a raging miss for me, though to be fair didn’t actually focus on the older character — which come to think of it might have been the problem.

• Yes to Australian crime stories! Australia as a setting is on my list today, but I would definitely like to see more crime novels set there. I love Jane Harper’s and wish there were more of them.

Happy TTT!

• A big yes to seeing more older characters in books. Some of my all time favorites have featured elderly protagonists.

Right? Absolutely, I want more of them! The ones I’ve read have mostly been utterly charming and also thoughtful in terms of the POV they bring to the story.

• OKAY, YES TO less arranged marriage tropes for Muslim and Indian characters. A definite need. At this point it’s like, why are we still doing this? You know? AND, obviously, agreed 100% about older characters. I’d love to see more of that voice. It’s a necessity.