Essential Christmas Viewing: Bird Box

For real, that’s what my family did on Christmas Evening. I don’t even know how we got onto Bird Box, only that it looked scary and somehow when one of my sisters took control of the remote and decided it needed watching, no one really argued.

We embraced our Christmas spirit, yeah?

So I’ve always said that I am a raging wuss when it comes to horror, be it books or movies, I’m surprised I sat through this without cringing in fear. The movie itself is based on a book — which I haven’t read and honestly, really have no plans to. The movie was quite enough.

So the movie: it’s dual timelines, set just before these entities (which we never see, and that actually makes things worse) start causing mass suicides. Malorie (Sandra Bullock) is heavily pregnant, and recovering from a bad break-up to boot, which makes her entirely ambivalent about her pregnancy, I think, and that all becomes moot when you know the world changes.

She finds herself stuck in a house, with several other people who are all strangers to each other just trying to figure out how to survive. As a result, we get to know a whole host of characters, all struggling to make sense of how their world has changed and to come to terms with it. All they can do is wait for more information and at some point, it becomes about living in this new world of theirs.

Tom, a construction worker and former soldier, takes charge of the household and eventually leads them on a supply run in which they have to face the horrors of those people who have seen the entities and survived. It’s as horrifying as those who committed suicide.

At the same time we learn what happened in the past, we follow Mal and two children down a river to what they hope is a safe haven. Mal is harder than she is in the past, and her instructions to her children are almost cruel. When we meet her in the past, she’s already jaded, but what caused this hardness? Besides, you know the obvious of being responsible for two children and getting them to safety.

I know I thought it was a stupid question when it popped into my head and then, well we see what happens to cause Mal to end up on a boat, with two kids.

The terrifying thing about this movie is what we don’t see, and the filmmakers do a fabulous job of maintaining tension and even increasing it all the way up in ways I did not expect through the movie. The atmosphere of fear, of waiting to see if these entities are present, while the characters are blindfolded was awfully creepy and that had my heart in my mouth!

What did you think of Bird Box?

• I’m seeing the book and film on a few blogs but I can’t say I’m excited about either of them I’m afraid! It sounds like you enjoyed it though and that’s the main thing!

Am I the only person not watching this movie?? I don’t know, I don’t think I could deal with the creepiness and tension.

• If I hadn’t read the comments above, I would have thought I was the only person on the planet who hasn’t watched this movie yet. I keep scrolling past it in my Netflix queue but end up bypassing it for something light and fluffy instead, lol. It does sound good though so maybe I’ll work up my nerve to watch it soon.

If it helps, I needed light and fluffy so much after this movie. Might’ve helped if i’d had it before too 🙂

• I still need to watch this! I loved the book though – it’s a favorite. My sister is finally reading it now, so I’ll probably watch the movie with her in like a week. LOL

-Lauren

I have seen reviews for the book, but was never inclined to pick it up. And yet here I am watching the movie lol Let me know what your sister thinks!

I had the book on my to read list for the longest time and still have a copy on my Kindle but have never felt the urge to pick it up. I’m not great when it comes to horror films but this sounds more suspenseful than horror. I’m still wondering why they’re blindfolded and how that plays into the narrative. I think I’ll watch the film instead, I enjoy Sandra Bullock films typically, she’s a great actress. Brilliant review Verushka darling! ♡♡

Happy New Year, Kelly! This is more suspenseful, though it has it’s moments of … gore? It’s not exploitative, and serves the story really well, I thought. Watch the movie, Kelly, I think — I mean Sandra Bullock + cast do really well I think!

• Daniela Ark says:

I totally loved both the book and the movie! The book as it happens often is a little better because you get to know the characters more. Glad to see you loved it as much as I did!

This is true, characters get more time and depth in books, but the movie was enough for me for this genre I think/

• Glad you liked it – you may read horror yet 🙂 We watched this the day it came out and enjoyed it too. However, my husband couldn’t get over how mean Malorie seemed to the children. And he was right, she was. I really felt sorry for Girl.

Haaaa, I may indeed read horror one day, this might just be the first step 🙂 Malorie was mean, even cold, but I put it down to ensuring their survival above all else. The names though, was a surprise — and again way harsh and cold.

• Cally Black says:

I enjoyed the movie. Loved the acting, the premise, the tension. I just thought the resolution was too simple and why did Rick effectively broadcast the whereabouts of the sanctuary over a non-closed channel to someone he didn’t know? The sanctuary was cool, but why did he want more people to go there? Resources? The dangerous people that might follow others there? Best stay quiet, Rick!

LOL, I wondered the same thing — he was being very trusting that the right (not affected) people would hear his radio signal. Eventually, I thought infrastructure would be breaking down and not everyone would have a radio to hear his call. I thought the way the movie maintained the tension was just WOW.

• Annie says:

I absolutely love the Bird Box to, I thought that Sandra Bullock and her co-stars were fantastic in their roles. I haven’t watched the film that was quite so violent in awhile, but I couldn’t bring myself to turn it off. I think that must be a sign that this was an incredible movie for genre. I’m glad you enjoyed it too.

I had the same reaction — I don’t like horror, but I couldn’t stop watching. I think everything in it was so well done without having to rely on blood and gore.