Lethal Lit: review of a Tig Torres mystery podcast

Lethal Lit podcast review

What is this about?: Tig Torres returns to Hollow Falls and begins a search for the Lit Killer — who about 10 years before killed several people in the town — and those murders were blamed on her aunt, an investigative reporter who was trying to unmask the killer

What else is this about?: Tig is finding her way in a new town, and school and I guess this is also a coming of age and coming to terms sort of story.

Blurb

The Lit Killer is back! Join teen detective Tig Torres as she returns to her small hometown of Hollow Falls, where her aunt was framed as a serial killer ten years earlier. With help from her new friends, Tig investigates the twisted mystery. But as she gets closer to the truth, the killings, each based on murder scenes from classic literature, begin all over again…with her as the final target. An Einhorn’s Epic Productions and iHeartRadio production.

Something I am forever finding intriguing is the use of podcasts and social media within books and most recently, as a complement to a book (Sadie) or a new way to listen to a mystery – as is the case with Lethal Lit, a Tig Torres mystery.

Lethal Lit is a fictional true crime podcast that follows Tig Torres, a teenager who has returned to her home town after living away in the city for years. She and her family left because her beloved aunt who was murdered was thought to have been the Lit killer, a serial killer that terrorised Hollow Falls by killing victims through methods from classic literature.

So what is a fictional true crime podcast? Well, that’s how Tig is going to clear her aunt’s name and unmask the real killer – she arrives in town and immediately starts her investigation, interviewing people and annoying most of them (especially the cops) for her podcast as she goes about trying to resurrect something everyone would prefer she left dead. But Tig believes in her aunt, and armed with her aunt’s tapes of her own investigation, she sets about trying to find the truth.

Along the way she finds herself making friends with the students at the high school newspaper who help her on her investigation, and there’s a hint of romance, but no real idea yet of where Tig stands on whether she prefers girls or boys, or both.

Tig herself is headstrong, and still filled with grief at her aunt’s death. The podcast format lends an intimacy to those moments when talks about her, and her abuela, and why she is convinced of her aunt’s innocence. There are moments where you get the sense that Tig is careful about protecting herself with this flippant coolness that masks who she is deep down. It makes for a compelling enough character to follow along in this somewhat short-than-expected podcast.

The characters around her are all distinct, and engaging in their own way. The podcast chooses the characters to focus on wisely, and ties them in closely to Tig.

What I liked about this medium as well, is when Tig is in danger, you can feel it just as profoundly as if you were running with her in the dark.

So what do you think of Lethal Lit? Would you listen to a ‘book’ like this?

10 Comments

• sjhigbee says:

This sounds interesting different! One of my New Year’s resolutions is to fire up my Kindle Fire so I can get into the world of audiobooks – but then I’d also be able to sample podcasts, too… Thank you for sharing this alternative way of accessing books, Verushka – and a happy new year to you!

• Verushka says:

My pleasure! It was my first time too, and I wasn’t sure how this was all going to come together, but it really worked! I was so impressed with it.

• Jen Mullen says:

Although I’m much better at reading than listening to an audio book, the innovative idea of a podcast sounds refreshingly different! I also like the idea of “fictional true crime” and a teenage protagonist. Thanks, Verushka!

• Verushka says:

It’s very much a YA podcast, but I was impressed with how they pulled it off. I can only hope for more like this!

• Lark says:

Fun! I like that Tig is a teen detective. 🙂

• This sounds so cool. It immediately made me think of Sadie too.

• Verushka says:

Sadie is exactly the reason I started paying attention to podcasts in relation to books and found out about this one!

• Kelly says:

Usually true crime Podcasts are always adult mysteries so I’m thrilled to hear this one is young adult! I love detective type reads with strong female characters and this sounds absolutely wonderful! I hope more YA readers catch onto this one, I would love to see more YA fictional Podcasts. Wonderful review Verushka, thanks so much for sharing! ♡

• Verushka says:

This was an unexpected gem, Kelly. and I hope they continue to do this show — Tig is just sooo … a character you would happily follow anywhere I think. Hopefully season 2 happens soon!