Top Ten Tuesdays: Book series I want to read but haven’t yet

Top Ten Tuesday book meme

Top Ten Tuesday is held over at That Artsy Reader Girl, where every week bloggers list their top 10 being asked about. This week the topic is about cozy, wintry reads, but I went a different direction entirely: these are the authors and their book series I want to read, but haven’t yet because there like 20-30 books in each series and I feel like there should be a book oracle somewhere that I can ask if I can start anywhere, and just read and not miss out on anything that came before. Whew.

Michael Connelly and the Harry Bosch series

I actually think I might be too ambitious with this one because Connelly has a whole interconnected universe with his books: I just reviewed a book wherein a new character of his meets Harry, and the Lincoln Lawyer series ties into Harry’s series as well. Dammit.

Lee Child and Jack Reacher

Did you hear that he thinks Tom Cruise doesn’t have enough of a presence to play Reacher? I don’t actually know what Reacher in the books is supposed to look like, but if anyone has read this series, please let me know if this is true lol I will say that the Jack Reacher movies — the second more than the first — are solidly entertaining. They’re not definitive examples of great movies, but still enjoyable, right? That’s why I started thinking about getting into this series. Has anyone read these books?

Jeffery Deaver and Lincoln Rhyme

I liked The Bone Collector — you remember the movie with Denzel Washington and Angeline Jolie? Turns out they’re thinking of making a series out of this book series and I find myself thinking about the movie and this book series again — and yes the thought of a tv series made me think of this one.

John Sanford and the Lucas Davenport

I actually think I read one of these YEARS ago and it’s always lingered at the back of my mind as a series to get back to, but of course, I haven’t.

Alexander McCall Smith and The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency

First off, this is a detective agency in Botswana which right away has me interested, but dear lord it’s 19 books long and this is when I need said book oracle because can I start with book 19?!?! Sighs.

Ian Rankin and Rebus

This book and Rankin are often held up as the best of BritCrime and 22 books long. Dammit (again).

Also, yes, these are all male authors because next week I’ll be doing a list of female authors along the same lines.

Have you read any of these books? Do you think I should risk a read mid-series?

Yeah that Alexander Mccall Smith series is super long! .

• I loved the first two Lincoln Rhyme books and plan to get to the others at some point. I’m not a big crime fan but I like the way these books are writte. I gave up on the Alex Cross books as that series looked never ending and readers were claiming that it was all a bit samey in the later books. A few of my apocalypse series are up over 14 books and Jennifer Espep’s UF series looks like it is going to 20 which is a lot to catch up on!

• Some really good authors here but I totally understand about long series. I’m completely anal about reading series from the beginning though so I’m probably the wrong person to ask.

I used to want to do the same with different series, but since I am finding them so late I’m wondering if i should just jump in to a couple. I am not doing entirely too well with that habit btw lol

• I’ve read a few of the Harry Bosch series, and they’re okay, but he’s not my favorite crime/mystery writer. I’ve only seen one of the Jack Reacher movies with Tom Cruise, and it was pretty good, and full of action. It seems like the same recipe over and over, so I think you could risk a mid-series jump in. He solves a mystery and moves on. No lasting relationship from what I can tell, and I like to have reoccurring, well-developed characters in a mystery series.

You’re right, the movies are like standalone ,mysteries and the books could very well be the same. Recently I’ve come across one that mentioned his past which made me pause and wonder. Who is your favourite mystery writer?

I’ve read a lot of the Harry Bosch series, but not all. I was happy that Lee Child finally mentioned that Tom Cruise doesn’t have the presence to play Reacher. Reacher is six feet and five inches tall and blonde. As much as I’ve enjoyed the books, when I heard Cruise was selected to play the role, I knew I would never see the movies. I’ve enjoyed quite a few of the Lincoln Rhymes books.

Oh wow, Cruise is NOTHING like Reacher! There’s a big difference in presence with a man that looks like Cruise, and a physically man so much bigger than him. Also blonder? He sounds like Alexander Skaarsgaard/

• Cholla says:

I read one of the Harry Bosch novels not knowing there are a billion in that series. BUT if you can convince yourself to pick them up, the one I read was excellent. I also want to read the Jack Reacher books but… *sigh*

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

I haven’t read any of these, but my goodness! I had no idea there were so many long series out there.

• I haven’t read any of these books yet… 19 and 22 book series? Yikes!

Although I have been reading Cassandra Clare’s books this year… the book that is probably sitting on my doorstep or mailbox right now is the 12th book of hers I’ve read this year (and they kinda should be read in order). So even though they are technically different series, they’re kinda not. And she has six more books in the universe, so that’s what… 18 books? Plus the spinoffs? So I guess I can’t really talk.

• I’ve only started one of these series myself and that’s the Jack Reacher one. It’s good but definitely daunting that there are so many books. I really want to read the Bosch one too.

• Yikes, 20 books in a series is too much for me! And I get so confused when series are all interconnected because yeah, idk where to start or if I need to read this other series first or what! But I hope you can find the answer about these and maybe get to read some of the books you want 🙂