Top Ten Tuesday: Books I’d like to read again for the first time

Top Ten Tuesday book meme

Top Ten Tuesday is held over at That Artsy Reader Girl, where every week bloggers list their top 10 being asked about. This week the topic was the longest books we’ve ever read, but unless they’re numbering in the pages above 500 I don’t really note the page count. So I did something different: the books I’d like to read again for the first time.

The Dark is Rising series: I’ve always said this series was so magical, and just captured me right from the get go, and I’d like to feel like that again.

Any Star Trek book: When I first discovered that there could be movie tie-ins, and then Star Trek tie-ins my mind was blown.

Kelley Armstrong’s Dime Store Magic: this story, and the character  of Paige, introduced me to urban fantasy as a genre, and that excitement and that joy? Was amazing. I have read one of her books that featured Elena, a female werewolf, and yeah, that’s a character I don’t want to revisit ever.

Rob Thurman’s Cal Leandros series: I found this series at the height of my love for another pair of Supernatural brothers – Dean and Sam on Supernatural. Cal and Niko are infinitely more angsty – yes, that’s possible, plus they come with the adorable and snarky sidekick – Robin. A puck. And then I found the author called out her fans for not buying her books enough to keep her writing… and I really wish I didn’t know that but there you go.

Simon R Green’s Something from the Nightside: This is on this list because of the creativity of this world. John Taylor is a PI in the Nightside, a hidden part of London where the fantastical and science fiction sort of co-mingle.

My Sister Rosa: This is utterly shocking and mesmerising at the same time because it follows Che, a transplant to NYC, with his parents and his psychopathic sister, younger, baby sister Rosa

Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil: Melina Marchetta is well known for her Looking for Alibradi YA story, so I didn’t know what to expect when I was reading this. The reason this sticks with me is that I remember the moment when I perked up and realised that I was going to enjoy this book immensely because Marchetta gave me a brilliant thriller, with some equally superb characterisation.

And that’s it! What books do you wish you could recapture the magic of reading for the first time?

• Sophia Rose says:

Oh yes, there are some books and series that I wish I still was trying them for the first time. Neat seeing the Cal Leandros series on your list. I’ve been curious about it and thought to try it soon.

I’ve read Armstrong’s Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising trilogies–such fun! I’ve also read the Cainesville series, and I liked the first book best and the Casey Duncan series set in Rockton. But I’ve never read any of The Otherworld books, and I see so many positive reviews. It seems that I need to!

• Sam@WLABB says:

I have a bunch of Melina Marchetta’s books on my TBR, and really want to read them.

• The series I think of most when I think of books I wish I could read again for the first time is Anne Bishop’s The Others series. Have you read them? I think you’d really like them if you like Armstrong’s series.

• I’m not familiar with any of the books (well, except Star Trek).

Books I’d like to read for the first time… Warcross, Legend, Divergent… I’ve read all three multiple times (and with the exception of Warcross, in multiple languages).

Ahh, so many books that you can really only discover once isn’t there. I find thrillers and mystery novels are still enjoyable to read but you no longer have that sense of anticipation again when reading. My Sister Rosa is one I’ve had on my list since before it was published but have never gotten around to reading yet. It sounds incredible! I’m hoping in the new year to start reducing my TBR list and reading all those books I’ve been dying to read. Great list Verushka! ♡♡♡

You never forget your first time reading a favourite book, I think. But you’re right — once yo know the ending of a mystery, the anticipation isn’t the same. You soooo have to try My sister Rosa. Where, Kelly, it is SO creepy and engrossing at the same time!

• There are so many books I would love to read again for the first time. This is a great idea for a list. I love Kelley Armstrong’s Other World series. Dime Store Magic is a good one!

• Lark says:

I love half the books on your list: the Nightside series, Cal Leandors, and Dime Store Magic! They’re all so good. I could read them all over again, too. 😀

• I have read the first two books of that Kelley Armstrong series that feature Elena but somehow I never made it to book #3. 🙁 But those books were one of my first urban fantasy experiences too actually.

• Man, if only we could reread books for the first time! There’s something to be said for rereading, you appreciate different things, and sometimes I enjoy books even more. But there are some feelings you get during a first read that just can’t be replicated. That said, if you wait long enough, it’s kind of like reading a book for the first time again lol. At least for me since I always forget more than I think. These sound like great books!

You’re right, re-reading does bring a different sort of appreciation to a book, but the magic of finding yourself enjoying something you didn’t know you would…. *gets nostalgic* I’d love that, I really would.

I’m curious about the Cal Leandros books, although I didn’t realize the author had done that lol. And star Trek! I used to read some of the novelizations of the episodes and the animated series- those were kinda fun. 🙂

I loved the novelisations! I actually have one of all the TOS series and was absolutely giddy when i could read about my fave series!

• I like your topic! I would like to read my childhood favorites for the first time again. I’m pretty sure my opinion of them would be different.

Oh for sure — the Enid Blyton books started my love for mysteries, and they would top a list of childhood goodness!

• Great spin on this week’s topic. I can think of several books I’d love to read again for the first time, with probably Erin Morganstern’s The Night Circus at the top of the list. All of the books on your list are actually new to me so I’ll have to make a point to read those for the first time. 🙂

• Melody says:

There’re so many books I’d like to read again for the first time. Sigh. I don’t think I’ve finished reading the Dime Store Magic series by Kelley Armstrong so hopefully I’ll get to them one day.

• Dime Store Magic was one of a few in the series I didn’t enjoy as I can’t stand Savannah! Ironically my favourites are the werewolf ones!

• Daniela Ark says:

oh I didn’t know you like UF! I don’t think I have seen UF on your blog yet! YAY that’s great! I still have to try Armstrong! I tried My Sister Rosa and DNF it. But I want to try it again!