Top Ten Tuesday: What TV are you bingeing on right now?

Top Ten Tuesday book meme

Top Ten Tuesday is held over at That Artsy Reader Girl, where every week bloggers list their top 10 being asked about. This week the topic is Bingeworthy TV Shows/Amazing Movies

The new fall season may be starting in the US, but over here, we usually get shows a year or so later if we’re lucky from the US, and then it’s a toss up as to whether the Australian TV stations will actually show them completely if they’re not  Grey’s Anatomy. No seriously, it’s pretty shit, and yes, Australian consumers are consistently blamed for every reason as to why Australian film and TV isn’t doing well: why would we support TV stations that have no consistency or you know show a season fron beginning to end n one go without stopping a season mid-way, bringing it back in a couple of months and marketing it as a new season.

This is why Netflix is so popular. We don’t have to put up with crap of the other channels /rant over

The X-Files

This show will always be on the top of my list, and next to Star Trek (Next Gen or Original) I could it as one of the things shaped my love of genre movies and TV (and books, but more the first).

Let’s not talk about the two most recent seasons though shall we? There is nothing for me like following Mulder and Scully through every case and conspiracy, right through to the final shot of them together at the end.

Buffy

D’uh.

Jessica Jones

Absolutely.

Broadchurch

Utterly heartrending, tense and compelling. If you have not watched this series, please do – David Tennant and the new HBIC on the Crown, Olivia Coleman, star.

Doctor Who

I binged Christopher Eccelston’s season, and was well on my way to the others, when the new female Time Lord was announced – Jodie Whittaker, who is incidentally from Broadchurch. I’m still somewhat in shock maybe? eeing what she can do there, means I need to see this!

Quantum Leap

I feel like a reboot or something is looming, but the original? This is another show, made well before The X-Files, that made me understand that there’s sci fi out there, that’s not Star Trek and is fucking brilliant. It was camp, is probably dated, but it explored so many relevant themes, I just love it.

Luther

Idris Elba. If he’s never going to be Bond, this is the next best thing, because it’s dark, compelling and Luther is just riveting.

Good Girls

Started watching this on Netflix recently and it’s FUN! These ladies are fun, and supporting each other through one of the most chaotic things in their lives.

Grace and Frankie

OMG. I did not stop laughing all through this show.

Things I’m looking forward to:

Widows

Based on a Lynda La Plante book, this movie has Viola Davis in the lead of a group of women completing a heist their husbands were planning before they died.

Crazy Rich Asians

I tried reading the book, but didn’t stick with it, but I NEED To see this movie.

The Book Club

Okay, so this is about four life-long friends who have their book club for over 40 years together. And then they start reading the Fifty Shades Trilogy. It might be cheesy or whatever, but the cast? Jane Fonda, Mary Steenburgen, Candice Bergen and Diane Keaton.

Murphy Brown

This is one reboot I am actively on pins and needles for!!

That would be so frustrating with the shows! Do you find that there’s a lot of good Australian fare? I watched Glitch on Netflix and am currently watching Wentworth- both are Australian productions (I think) so I’m just curious. I’m always curious what other countries’ TV production is like. 🙂 I’ve been loving a lot of foreign- made shows I’ve been seeing lately, moreso than US ones.

Anyway Jessica Jones *nods* love it. Luther was awesome, and Broadchurch is on my list.

Nah. Glitch and Wentworth (which you’re right, both are Aussie) are the exceptions I think, but generally fare is usually to do with romances, and blonde chicks trying to find themselves. There is a new show coming up that looks crazy fun and it’s about WAGS and a new WAG who is naturally not the pretty one of the bunch. I tend to go for UK shows more than anything, but even then it’s hit and miss when they are here. Sighs. You have GOT to watch Broadchurch Greg. All three series in fact — they’re so brilliant!

• I loved Buffy so much and hope to binge watch that this winter! I stopped watching Dr Who when Catherine Tate was brought in full time. Dreadful so called actress and her character drove me mad. I can’t believe they dumped Martha for Donna! I’ve never got round to watching the last couple of doctors but Matt Smith got a good write up.

Me too! Even the older episodes which look so dated, but god it makes me so nostalgic! I thought MArtha was very underrated 🙁 I hope the new companions fare better!

• Poinsettia says:

Star Trek Next Generation is classic! The original Star Trek is great too. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

My husband is a huge Doctor Who fan, and he’s annoyed that our cable package doesn’t include BBC America. Hopefully he’ll figure out a way to watch the new season!

• I am currently binge watching Haven on Netflix and loving it. I just finished the current season of Riverdale.

• Jo says:

Ah yes Broadchurch was awesome and Grace and Frankie is super funny!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/09/04/top-ten-tuesday-175/

• Yay for Netflix. It’s my go to place now for a lot of what I watch. Buffy is a favorite of mine too–and made my list. I didn’t include Jessica Jones, but I like that one too. And Broadchurch. 🙂

• YES! Another Good Girls fan. I didn’t add it to my list but I loved that series sooo much. They are such a fun group of gals and you can’t help but cheer them on. Wonderful list here and I have a friend who has “gotten sucked down the Lucifer rabbit hole” just recently.

Oooh, I binged all three seasons a couple of months ago and then got irritated at how much the show was not going to let the Chloe find out about Lucifer. Sighs, It was funny thought! The ladies of the Good girls are THE BEST! It still blows my mind that that Annie is the President’s daughter from the first Independence Day.

• I love The X-Files, Buffy, Jessica Jones, Broadchurch (binged it not too long ago, I was obsessed!), Doctor Who (CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEW SEASON AHHHH xD) ♥

• Sam@WLABB says:

Buffy, of course, but look at you going really old school with Murphy Brown. Wow! It’s been forever since I have seen that show. Broadchurch was really good too. I liked the BBC version better than the US version though.

I got SO excited when I saw they were rebooting that show sam! I LOVED Murphy!! BTW< never did watch the US version of Broadchurch -- pity it didn't last 🙁

• I haven’t watched any of these shows. This week’s TTT has taught me that I don’t watch nearly enough TV. 🙂

• Quantum Leap was a great show.

I really hate the country barriers that are put up by places like Netflix, especially as someone that speaks a lot of languages. The world has become so intertwined lately, at least as far as people interacting… I mean, in one day I might talk to people from Australia and the Netherlands and the UK and all over the US… it would be nice if our books, movies, and TV shows would cross borders more easily.

EXACTLY! It’s so frustrating especially when you are looking forward to a book, reading this great reviews and … nope not available in Australia. Sheesh. (QL? One of the best shows ever for me. I was devstated when it ended!

• I love Quantum Leap – I’d like to see what a reboot could look like actually. 🙂

Check out my TTT and my plans for Fall Bookish Bingo

I would be crushed if they rebooted it, I think. I can’t imagine the show without Scott Bakula, and I thought when it first came out and even now that he was the *hottest* lol

• RO says:

I’m on those pop culture nerds, so I unfortunately binge on something all the time. I absolutely have fallen in love with Grace and Frankie and can’t wait for the next season, and Jessica Jones is fabulous. I finished the British Baking Series and Jack Ryan, then all set to catch Ozark with Jason Bateman. Crazy Rich Asians was laugh out loud funny, and I’m already looking forward to the sequel.I was really looking forward to Book Club, and while I enjoyed it, it’s not one I’ll watch again I don’t think. Widows sounds pretty good too. You’ve listed some great ones! Hugs…RO

• Quantum Leap was such a fun show. I’d love to re-watch that one at some point.

• Maggie says:

I have never watched Doctor Who – which is really incredible, as my dad loved it! Which season would you suggest beginning with?