Words to read by: Reading should be a pleasure

Mark Billingham Quote

I found this quote in a Q and A with Mark Billingham, and I feel like it might be my New Year’s Resolution *nods* It’s hard sometimes — I don’t think anyone wants to give up on a book, but sometimes, it’s the best thing. Too little time, too many books.

What about you?

• Idk, I’m not much of a DNFer. I would more stressed DNFing most books than just finishing them. BUT I agree with the sentiment that reading should be a pleasure, and so everyone should find what works for them!

You are a patient and optimistic sound, Kristen! I think at its hear as long as it’s pleasurable in some way is all that matters.

• Oh I love that quote. So true! I need to DNF more to be honest. With books I am not enjoying I tend to skim because I need to know what happens.

Haaa, I hear you on needing to know what happens! Things can irritate me and still make me want to know the ending at the same time — usually it’s a trigger in my head that I need to make me put that book aside. I’m weird I know!

• Totally agree! I’m a mad DNFer! Anything I’m not enjoying, I stop reading it right away and move on to something else. I don’t see any point in wasting precious time on stuff I’m not enjoying when I read for enjoyment! I don’t greatly care what happens in it after I stop reading it so that book never gets another thought from me.

Some books I do wonder about the ending, and if the author rescues it somehow so I skim to the ending. But yeah, if you read to get away from the real world and to enjoy things, you don’ want to struggle through anything.

I love this quote! I totally agree with it – I DNF quite a bit, sometimes within the first few pages!

• I try my best to give a book a chance. But if after about 35 to 40% in, and I’m still loving it. I found it hard to continue and then I find myself skimming to see if it gets better. There are only a couple of times I’ve DNF’d but I should probably do that more instead of making myself read something I don’t really enjoy.

I skim sometimes too when elements interest me, even if the whole doesn’t work — if that makes sense? I know I’m weird! Other times, I will happily DNF. (but yes, again with the guilt that lingers lol)

• Mark’s clearly someone after my own reading heart! I’ve really embraced the DNF over the past year or so and it’s helped my reading habits a lot.

• AngelErin says:

Excellent quote! I hate DNFing, but I keep trying to tell myself this exact thing! Thanks for sharing and it’s always a good thing to remember about reading. 🙂