#5Books: Jane Austen gets an update, and you know there’s a mystery in here

#5Books week ending 310716

I wasn’t kidding when I said Jane Austen gets an update — with the most unexpected sister. I’m not kidding about that either.

Have you noticed that there are more and more stories with kidnapped teens returning recently? Just me then? I still put one on the list below because the twists and turns sound absolutely delicious and I want to know more. Here’s hoping this one is as promising as it sounds — fingers crossed!

The third rec this week can be summed up thusly: BFFS forever. Until someone dies. And comes back from the dead.

What happens when the devil comes to town? A heatwave apparently. And accidents. And a possible catastrophe — which are pretty much all the ingredients

And last, twins. Conjoined — now separated — identical twins. And one assumes the identity of the other when she’s accused of killing someone. And it doesn’t stop there. Nope.

The Other Bennet Girl: Mary Bennet to be exact. My first thought was: Seriously, Mary Bennet? It sounds like a YA novel  to be honest, with Mary finding herself and what she wants. I think there is much to be revealed about her, but I can’t say I’m not side-eyeing this as much as I am curious about it. BTW, notice how this is technically fanfic? Yeah, but it’s allowed, I guess. As opposed to what fans on the internet write. Alright, I might be a little grumpy about this. Ahem.

Good as Gone: A mother knows best, right? But what happens when her kidnapped daughter is returned to her and she has doubts as to whether it’s her. And, then there’s the private eye who I think is fuelling her doubts in a way. Or trying to help her find the truth. There’s the inevitable Gone Girl comparisons, which with the frequency of how it’s used could be a reason to run far away from a book, so I feel I should add this as a warning. (BTW, has Gone Girl fatigue set in yet?)

Loved her Madly: Glo and Cyn were BFFs in college going so far as to share a boyfriend — somehow. But that’s not the most delicious part: Cyn disappears one night in Costa Rica where they are studying and suspicion falls on Glo for 7 years, because at that point Cyn comes back. Where has Cyn been? Why is she back? And how does Glo resist punching her out?

The Summer that Melted Everything: The Devil comes to town in this book, in the shape of a 13-year-old boy. The Bliss family — apt name if ever there was one for a family that takes in the Devil — welcome him into the family, but oh the town, the town is another story altogether as strange accidents start to happen. There’s also a fanatic in the middle of all this and while writing this, it occurred to me it’s actually all rather random isn’t it? It’s Sal AKA the 13-year-old Devil that interests me because how he’s going to bring everything and everyone together? But, how? And who is this fanatic that creates a catastrophe but only warrants one line in the blurb? I feel like there’s a wealth about the town I’m missing out on in this blurb too.

False Hearts: Alright, we have (formerly) conjoined sisters, one (Tila) getting accused of murder and the other (Taemea) assuming her identity to investigate a drug syndicate in order to save her from a murder charge. AND then, you realise the cult they escaped from is tied to the syndicate. And it’s described as Orphan Black meets Inception…So much goodness in all this, and it’s actually the first in a series. I don’t know where this is going to go, but I WANT to try it!

What are you looking forward to from this list?

• Love this list!! I have been keeping an eye on The Summer That Melted Everything. I have seen some really good things about it. False Hearts sounds really interesting!!

Oh me too, Grace! The Summer That Melted Everything is getting on more radars and more love — I need to get my hands on it!! False Hearts has to be good I WANT it to be good so much, because the premise is so awesome!

• AngelErin says:

Good as Gone and False Hearts both sound fantastic!!

• roro says:

The summer that melted everything was amazing. I know. tnx for the other reccs . Love her madly sounds interesting

• Fantastic list..so many good options! Curious about Good As Gone

• Stephanie B says:

Mary Bennett? Eh… I’ve never been a fan. I loved Pride & Prejudice but I’ve never particularly cared about Mary Bennett. I mean, it could be good but… I think I’ll pass.

I am curious enough to try it because I hadn’t read anything about a Mary-focused retelling. Going froma comment on the link where I found it, apparently, she’s very popular as a focus of retellings. For some reason.

• Lola says:

I dont think I have ever read a book about kidnapped teens returning, or maybe I just can’t remember any at the moment. And there sure seem to be a lot Jane Austen retellings out there, I haven’t read any of the jane Austen books, so the retellings never appealed to me, but it does sound great for those who love Jane Austen. All these 5 books are new to me books, but they sound good. The Summer that melted everything is fun title. I hope you’ll enjoy them 🙂

I just went through a stage where I felt like I’d seen a couple in quick succession so I wondered if it was becoming a sub-genre. And thanks Lola!

• Maria Behar says:

The one book that interests me on this list is “The Other Bennet Girl”. You know, I always wondered why Austen didn’t expand upon Mary’s story, in another novel. Well, now we have one! And yes, it’s really fan fiction, but, since the author is no longer walking around on the planet, it’s somehow okay…. I wonder what Austen would say about this, if we could somehow communicate with her. Lol.

According to the article I read after clicking on the book’s title, this novel is very well-written, and in a warm, engaging tone. Sure beats “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”, IMHO!! How ANYONE could even pick up THAT book is beyond me!!

Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend!! And thanks for all of your recent visits to and comments on my blog!! <3 : )

What grabbed you about Mary, Maria? I’d love to know 🙂

I do wonder what she’d say — probably or hopefully give some advice on what not to do with Mary lol!

I will put my hand up and say the movie of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was hilarious (bad) but still watchable.

I hope youe weekend was good too!!

• Maria Behar says:

Well, obviously, the fact that she’s a bookworm, lol. And she’s very shy, too. But you know what they say….”still waters run deep”. I can’t wait to find out more about Mary. Besides, her name is the English equivalent of “Maria”, so of course I like her! : )

• Actually, all of these sound good. Good as Gone has me really curious. I admit I’m tired of the “like Gone Girl and Girl on the Train!” comments. So often it’s a stretch anyway, and it sets the reader up for disappointment.

I am so tired of those comparisons too. It’s lazy to slap it on a blurb and the worst part is — like you said — the twists in the end are just lame — whether you’ve read the other two or not!

• The Other Bennet sounds awesome, TBH! I love all iterations of P&P, mostly! The Summer that Melted Everything also sounds so good, hope that it is!!

• Suzanne says:

I’m very excited about The Other Bennett Girl and The Summer That Melted Everything. The others I hadn’t heard of before, but you’ve piqued my interest for sure 🙂

• Ooh, The Summer that Melted Everything sounds pretty good! As does the one about the formerly conjoined twins. I’m always intrigued by that subject. Thanks for sharing these titles!

• sam says:

Well, I just added a bunch of books to my TBR. These all sounds so interesting. Great post!

Some interesting stuff here! I’m especially intrigued by Good as Gone since the whole concept of the daughter returning but maybe it’s not her? is kinda creepy and fun. 🙂 Although yeah the whole Gone Girl comparison is SO old now… sigh.

Thanks for sharing these, they look fun!

• sam says:

Orphan Black meets Inception? That sounds incredible.

• I saw a recent review of The Summer That Everything Melted and went to add it to my Kindle because you know me…devil child…sign me up. Then I realized I must have seen it as a daily deal or something because I already have it on my Kindle. I swear I’m losing my mind. Anyway I think it sounds awesome. As for Gone Girl fatigue – I’m super tired of it and I didn’t really like the book OR the movie. In fact, if a book has a Gone Girl comparison, I’m pretty much turned off from it. False Hearts does sound rather interesting.

• Yvonne says:

I recently read a book with a kidnapped teen who is returned too. It was excellent. Good as Gone sounds really good.

• Evelina says:

I love it how that’s a fanfic 😀 and it’s totally right that way, cause it was written back in the way when there was no internet fanfic, only written fanfic 😀 so it should have book-form fanfic! Hah. Sounds good, to be honest 🙂

• Nina says:

Yes, lots of stories about teenagers being kidnapped & me too keep adding them to the growing tbr list.

• Nina says:

The description of The Summer that Melted Everything makes me want to read it! Sounds really interesting and quite scary. 🙁

• Daniela Ark says:

conjoined twins is one topic I have never read! So much potential for a wrecking emotional experience! and a cult?? OH WOW And… described as Orphan Black meets Inception? YES I AM IN!

• Ahh, The Summer That Melted Everything! I love seeing that book on lists. I wish more people would read it.

• Ethan says:

I’m also pretty tired of the Gone Girl comparisons, but I have to admit that it usually makes me take a second look at a book!

• The Summer that Melted Everything has been on my list for a while now. I also heard of the Mary Bennet book and had the same reaction as you. I’m tempted though!

• Karen says:

Fun lists. I hadn’t heard of any of these – The Summer that Melted Everything sounds interesting.

Karen @ For What It’s Worth

• Lark says:

I really enjoyed Good as Gone. It’s one of the better psychological thrillers I’ve read this year. 🙂

• RO says:

This is a really good list, and your blurbs are on point! Love Her Madly sounds really unique and interesting too! Hugs…RO

• Lark says:

I loved Good as Gone. I thought it was really well done, and it surprised me, too, which is always a good thing. As for the other books on your list, I’m most intrigued by The summer that Melted Everything. Happy reading!

• Yeah, a story about Mary Bennett sounds bland. I’m so over Gone Girl comparisons! I like the sound of Loved Her Madly and if I were Glo I’d definitely want to punch out Cyn! Letting your BFF hang out dry like that is pretty shitty.