#5Books: Book recs = comforting

#5Books for the week ending 22 October

Well, I’ve just had the virus from hell. Properly embarrassed myself at work by throwing up there — in the sick room — but still, it was just ick. And then it got worse. I suspect it might’ve been from my nephews who are at daycare, and this winter were always sick.

Bleh. Fingers crossed I can keep my food down and tummy settled.

Mercifully, I can actually focus and get some blogging done.

Destiny and things that are meant to be have been playing on my mind for a variety of reasons recently. However my concerns are not of the same kind as the ones in this book:

Meant to Be

Agatha, or Ag lives in a world where at the age of 18 the name of your meant to be — the person you’re meant to be with for the rest of your life — appears on your skin. Her BFF is already in love with her MTB but Agatha seems to be falling for her coworker. So Agatha needs to make a decision — is she going to wait for her MTB or follow her heart? It’s always been an interesting question — are things meant to be? Does the universe have a plan after all? Also — look at the tag-line of the book — it’s going to be good!

The Innocent Wife

Now this is not the meant-to-be you’d want. Samantha is in love — with a man called Dennis, who has been on Death Row for twenty years. He’s the subject of a Making a Murderer style doco that is everywhere, and everyone seems to be convinced he’s innocent. Sam starts to write him letters, and it’s through them that she falls in love and marries Dennis. And then the campaign is successful and Dennis is free… and Samantha begins to suspect he may actually not be innocent… I was reading an article about the fandoms that grow up around serial killers, and I don’t get it. How do people get to this point?

A Killer Harvest

Well, this is creepy. Joshua is a kid whose lost his biological parents, and when the book opens loses the detective and father that raised him. After this loss, Joshua is given a chance to get a corneal transplant but instead gets one eye from his father and one from the suspect that killed his father. And after that Joshua begins to see things that might’ve happened in the owner’s previous lives. And on top of all this he has to contend with the suspect’s accomplice coming after him seeking revenge. I swear, I think there’s been a movie about this topic. It might have starred Jessica Alba, maybe? Does anyone remember that? I’m all over this one though — there’s a creepiness to the story, but such potential too — what does Joshua see? What does he see of his father’s past??

Death Comes in Through the Kitchen

This mystery is set in Havana, and I am intrigued by the description in the blurb of it being a poison-laced culinary mystery. Set in Havana in 2003, Matt comes to Havana to marry his girlfriend Yarmila, who he finds dead in her apartment instead. As a result, he becomes the main suspect. So Matt sets out to clear himself and finds out more about Yarmila that he didn’t know — but what can you know of a woman you met over a blog?

The Missing Guests of the Magic Grove Hotel

With a blurb that is way short, this looks like a cozy mystery set in Thailand, and something definitely, TOTALLY worth your time. Ladarat is a nurse ethnicist (I had to look that up and I am still not clear what that is exactly), who is commandeered to help a detective when foreign travellers go missing across Thailand. What do they have in common? Staying at the Magic Grove Hotel. This is mercifully only the second in a series, and it just looks …. soothing. I don’t even know why that came to mind, but it does.

And that is what kept me sane these past two days. How are you doing this week?

The premise of Meant to Be sounds fascinating – I always wonder about fate and things like that, how much it really governs our lives, if at all! And The Missing Guests definitely sounds like something I’d curl up on the couch with on a dreary day.

I hope you feel better soon!

Goodness, I hear you. Fate and the universe having a plan or not has been on my mind recently too and sometimes I desperately wish there was, and if someone could give me a spoiler on this grand plan, that’d be great too! lol

• I have a copy of the Paul Cleave book but haven’t read it (#storyofmylife). I think The Innocent Wife is one I will check out. I don’t how this type of thing continues to happen time after time. My husband works in a prison and he is always amazed at the number of people who get caught “fooling around” with inmates and end up losing their jobs and in some cases, getting charged themselves. Many of them are even married already. It’s crazy!

Wow, your husband has a front row seat to relationships like this! They’re so strange — I can’t understand how you’d get to the point of loving someone in prison, which is part of why I am so curious about this. (and I hear you #storyofmylife too)

• Oh no V! Being sick at work is the worst! And it’s funny how many viruses are cropping up that make us vomit as adults now! I feel like for so long I never vomited and then all of a sudden these super bugs are coming around that are getting to adults and kids alike.

I once puked in the car park at work. 🙈🙈🙈 It was a low, low moment and I couldn’t quite make it anywhere. Ugh. I’m still getting goosebumps thinking of it! I hope you get better soon!

The cover of Death Comes In Through the Kitchen is cool – I love the juxtaposition of that title with the cheery colours!

Hope you have a great week and can recover soon!

I was so embarrassed Di! This is the first time in years I’ve been so sick to throw up — you’re right though, the bugs are getting worse. Oh man, the car park? You poor thing! I like your point about the colours and the title in Death Comes In Through the Kitchen!)

• Oh wow, being sick is the worst. I hope you feel better soon!

You’ve got some very interesting book recs here. I especially liked the blurb for Death Comes in Through the Kitchen.

Ugh, I managed to avoid for most of the season, so I guess that’s something. Death Comes definitely has an eyecatching blurb + cover.

• A Killer Harvest sounds so good. I,ve never heard anything like it! Very unique and yes.. I never understood the fascination some women have with inmates!

Me either! Cleave’s books generally get good reviews, so I’m hopefully it’s something brilliant! And YES! I do not ge tit, but that’s why I want to see how the author makes this all work

• Oh no, I hope you are feeling better. I have a copy of The Innocent Wife, I hope it is as good as it sounds. *fingers crossed*

*fingers crossed* indeed! I’ll be looking for your review! Much better, too, thank you. Slowly getting back to eating properly at least

• Evelina says:

There’s a sick room at your work? O.o never heard about such a thing. Is it a very big office? Very interesting.
    That’s a lot of reading for two days though, awesome 🙂