#5Books: Book recs and summer is here AKA a snap heatwave

#5Books for the week ending 24 September

Summer may be around the corner, but there is blessedly a sunny weekend right now. A lazy day of  binge-watching Lucifer, which is far more fun than I thought it would be. Anyone else a fan?  Tricia Helfer is a hilarious fish out of water, and Ella is just all sorts of fun.

The thing that growing ever more irritating is that Chloe doesn’t believe him — seriously, I get half a season season, maybe but at this point how hasn’t she locked him up for being crazy? And how has Dan not decked Lucy for all the insults?

In other news, despite the glorious summer weather, it’s still a snap heatwave, and it’s still bad because bush fire season has started way too early. I love Australia’s summers, but bush fire season just gets worse every year. Climate change is real and fucking sucks.

The Trust

This is book four of a series, Goodreads interestingly calls Liam and Catherine. So with The Trust, I can see Liam is an investigator, and he is about to be plunged into an intriguing mystery in Ireland (another reason I picked this up) involving his uncle and his death. In addition, his uncle, it seems, was anticipating his death, because his will isn’t going to be executed until his killer is found. And then Liam becomes trustee of his uncle’s estate and then shit really hits the fan.

Knowing me by now, you’ll see this has everything that interests me, but what actually sealed the deal weirdly, was book 1: which is about Catherine, a lawyer is asked to bring a respected civic leader to justice as a Nazi SS Officer that escaped justice and changed his identity. Her client, Solomon reveals to her that the officer betrayed Solomon’s family to the Nazis, even though they raised him.

So from that to Ireland? I need this series in my life.

How I am Spending my Afterlife

Alton Carver is a douche. He is under investigation for fraud, so as a lawyer his solution is to fake his death and run… except, he sticks around to check out his funeral, and then overhears enough to realise that everyone thought he was a douche, and his wife was in love with someone else. So naturally Alton stays. I stand corrected: he’s a self-absorbed douche, and I can’t deny I would like to see him get his comeuppance.

The Widows of Malabar Hill

That time you never you need a mystery set in Bombay in 1921, when Perveen Mistry becomes one of the first female lawyers in India. And she’s determined to protect women’s rights for her own reasons. One of her first cases is that of three widows (yes, same man) who have signed their inheritance to a charity. Who is trying to take advantage of these widows? That’s when Mistry starts investigating... I’ve made it clear elsewhere that widows and the Indian culture, or Hindu culture drive me nuts — because those are harsh and awful, and having grandmothers who were widowed young, and still brought up their families and kept a roof over their heads is no mean feat. So I have a thing about this particular type of plot I think *breathes*

Frankenstein in Baghdad

Yup, it’s exactly what it says on the tin. Kind of. This is the story of Hadi, who lives in Baghdad and takes it upon himself to collect human body parts from war around him. He sews them together and he says he wants to government to recongize the body parts as people and give them a proper burial. But then his corpse goes missing and he begins to hear of murders in the city, of a criminal who looks like a monster and cannot be killed even if he is shot… I think this is my first Frankenstein retelling and I am utterly curious and slightly afraid because Frankenstein.

The Storm King

So the blurb at the link is a wee bit too bland for my liking especially when compared to a blurb I found for it elsewhere. Turns out our picture perfect MC, Nate was a terror as a teen. The kind that collects a bunch of rage-filled teens like himself and goes around punishing the people who crossed them back then. Years later, Nate is a doctor and he’s long since left his home town, and just when everything is perfect, a body is found forcing Nate to return to his hometown. There he meets old friends and so do their secrets come to light. The memory of a tragedy fuels how he reconnects with his past friends, and then there’s the hurricane and the violence that seems to follow him while he’s there.

The Storm King is definitely tickling my fancy — the idea of a teen-terror getting his life together and facing his past is something that has such potential for secrets-and-lies goodness! The Liam and Catherine series is another interesting series, and it’s only on book 4 so,  I can happily start with book one in the meantime. Which mind you, sounds a little bit more interesting than book 4.

What about you? What tickles your fancy this week?

I love the cover of The Trust, but I don’t know if I have it in me to start another series! Great picks this week!

• Ooh The Storm King seems interesting. I’m really tired of the heat where I live too – it needs to calm down!

It does! I’m really wondering about the teen terror is compared to his older self. And oh no! Is it cooling down at all?

• Seriously, you’ve got to stop recommending such good books. The Storm King sounds awesome and for some reason, I’m really curious about the Afterlife one. And Frankenstein in Baghdad? How could you not want to pick up a book like that?

I am so going to be stalking your blog to see which ones you get to that I can’t — and IA The Storm King …. there’s such a difference between the past young MC and the older one, I’m really wanting to see howit all ties together. Frankenstein In baghdad sounds just creepy and fantastic all at once, and original (yes a retelling) bc I don’t think people would think of this plot easily.

• Yup. I’m feeling the heat already! Climate change is so real. What the heck happened to spring? It’s just hot, hot, hot. I mean, it was 36 the other day when I drove to work!

I’ve done bugger all TV watching in the past week or so – we’ve watched a few episodes if Heartland but that was it. And now my father in law is staying with us so we haven’t watched any TV other than sport! We followed the Laver Cup tennis which was cool, but tennis is almost my sporting limit!

Hope you have an awesome week V and enjoy the reading!

oh you poor thing! Right after the tennis you get the nrl and afl grand final weekend — the only thing I watched was macklemore performing to report to tony abbott on twitter I didn’t turn gay HA. Rain all this week — weather just gets stranger and stranger!

• It’s fall where I live, so the temps are slowly falling and getting cooler. Finally…. I love Lucifer and can’t wait for the new season to start! I wan’t sure about when I first started it, but I like Lucifer himself so much, so arrogant, which is not normally my thing, but anyway. Plus, he’s nice to look at. 😉

Right now, my husband and I are binge watching The Blacklist and liking it.

Heh, Lucifer is definitely nice to look at! I think the new season has started hasn’t it? What did you think of the first episode? We’ve got comfortable temps right now, but rain is due this week, which sucks.

• My mom keeps telling me I need to watch Lucifer. She says it’s very entertaining so I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying it too.

How I am Spending My Afterlife sounds like a potentially fun read. I too always enjoy self-absorbed douches getting what’s coming to them, haha.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

It’s funny, is what surprised me given Lucifer, Angels and God — but turns out Lucifer’s mother makes and appearance and she and God are going through the equivalent of a bitter divorce and she wants her sons. lol It’s crazy, but fun! And ha, I heard you — sometimes you just need the douches to get their comeuppance!

• Lucifer is one of those shows I am curious about. Maybe I will start watching. I love the sound of How I am Spending My Afterlife. Definitely checking that one out.

• Very curious about the Trust. Sorry, I have not been by, I was out of town for 11 days for a celebration of life for my Uncle.

• I sued to be a HUGE fan of Lucifer!!! But I think I forgot to record the last season and then I totally forgot about the show! LOL I think I was getting annoyed at the end yes Dan is totally a doormat! LOL I Frankenstein in Baghdad dounds all kind of gory!! I hopw you enjoy it!

YAY! Are you going to catch up??? What was annoying you about last season? I really would like Chloe to believe who he is by now — that part is stretching on and on….

• Lucifer is one of my sons favorite shows. I watched the first few episodes when it came out, but never continued, but really liked it. I’ll binge it when I have some time. Summer is getting ready to leave us, but I’d still read those! 😀