#5Books: Book recs and serial killers on the brain #noregrets

#5Books book recs for the week ending 17 September

I totally have serial killers on the brain and I blame Criminal Minds. I go through weird stages liking this show and ignoring it exists because it gets so dark. But interestingly, I don’t feel the reading I do is that dark? Is it?

Sweet Little Lies

What happens when you can’t trust a parent any more? That’s the event that this book revolves around: Cat sees her father flirting with a 17 year old Maryanne Doyle, who later disappears. And that’s when he denies ever knowing her, he destroys his relationship with Cat though I am not entirely sure he’s aware of why their relationship has broken apart. 18 years later, Cat is a detective and called to investigate a murder near the pub her father owns — and finds evidence that links Alice to Maryanne. Cat begins to wonder if he really is the killer, and that’s what got me — the relationship between father and daughter, so irrevocably changed. Why did he lie?

A guide for murdered children

There’s such a disconnect between the pink cover and the title, and not to mention the unicorn I had to read the title twice over for it to truly register. The premise is somewhat creepy: What if murdered children could inhabit the bodies of adults to get their revenge on the people that killed them. Wyld, a cop, running a cold case squad starts to investigate the deaths of a brother and sister, and finds instead a support group of slain children. The blurb tends to forget about the brother/sister case, so I am not entirely sure what that means. But I can’t help but be curious. It’s one of the more original plots I’ve read recently.

The Liar’s Girl

Oh hello, interesting serial killer story: Will is in prison because he’s well a serial killer. And one of his victims was his girlfriend’s, Alison’s, best friend. Which as you can well imagine effed her up good. After she ran away to Amsterdam, she put him out of her mind, and then, another body appears. And she is the only person Will says he’ll confess to about the possibility of a copycat. This sounds like an absolute mind game, and I am ready for it.

MAD Librarian

I think book is every librarian’s — and anyone else who has seen too many budget battles. Serenity is a librarian who has lost her funding. So she sets out to rob the politicians who robbed her library. But the politicians in question want their money back, but I don’t think Serenity is going to let that happen… hands up who wants Serenity to get away with this??

The Vanishing Season

Apparently, with this blurb, we need two paragraphs mentioning awards, before we get to the actual blurb. Sighs. Why.  Ellery is a cop in a small town, and victim number 17 of serial killer Francis Michael Coben. She’s also the only one who lived. But when three people disappear over her birthday over three years, Ellery thinks someone knows her secret —  is the secret is that she lived? Why does she fear this secret? But I digress, no one believes her, so she calls the FBI agent who saved her. He on the other hand has a crumbling marriage, bosses who don’t think much of him, and the fact that he blew a major investigation. So who is after Ellery? Did they get the right killer??

I know a lot of my fellow bloggers out there like their darker books, but what do you read when you need a break?

• I’ve only heard of The Vanishing Season, which I want to read, but the others sound great too! I had to do a double-take of A Guide for Murdered Children. What a premise!

• Sweet Little Lies is definitely one I need to check out more. Sounds awesome!

Me too! Cat’s relationship with her father and everything that happens — I NEED to know more! Next on my list of books to get!

I used to watch Criminal Minds repeats a lot, but they can get really dark and creepy and I can’t watch them at night anymore!

And yes, I hope Serenity gets away with it!

Tht is exactly how I feel about Criminal Minds — I feel like they hit a couple of seasons where they went dark and creepy for the sake of it rather than having a good story 🙁 Heh so mnay people will identify with Serenity I think!

• Silvia says:

Although the cover left me a bit perplexed, A guide for Murdered Children has definitely an interesting premise!

• I’ totally with you about A guide for murdered children! I saw it on Goodreads and I was like HUH??? what is this ?? LOL I’m so intrigued now!

• Oh gosh, I love serial killer books – and darker books in general! LOL I’m totally adding The Liar’s Girl and A Guide for Murdered Children to my list.

Have you heard about the new show coming to Netflix called Mindhunter? I’M SO EXCITED!

OMG YES! Mindhunter! Just sitting through the trailer gave me the shivers! When is it out? I hope we get it over here, i’ve discovered sometimes we don’t always get the same shows as the US. 🙁

• Did you ever see The Following with Kevin Bacon? It was very dark–too much even for me and yet I couldn’t stop watching.

I used to read a lot of serial killer books, but not as many anymore. It’s gotten old to me.

A Guide for Murdered Children sounds interesting in particular of the ones you mentioned.

Oh my YES! And, I stopped watching a couple of episodes in because it was WAY too dark! That seemed like they were pushing that sort of violence just to be shocking at times. Books though have a chance to be more… evil in a way, without needing to resort to just obvious violence. It all kind of depends on the author, I think. Guide for Murdered Children is definitely one that I won’t forget in a hurry!

• All of these sound great. I like dark reads too, although I need to find some with new twists. It seems like I keep reading books that are too similar in terms of storyline.

That bubblegum pink cover for A Guide for Murdered Children is kind of blowing my mind. It does make me want to read it though to see if it’s connected to the story more than it seems to on the surface. Unicorns and stars too, lol.

I totally know what you mean about Guide for Murdered Children! I am definitely looking to see how it all comes together. I hear you about books with twists — they’re do tend to sound way too similar these days.

• Sam@WLABB says:

I had to know more about A guide for murdered children. That cover with that title had me interested. The concept sounds pretty amazing, actually. I’m intrigued.

• OMG! Just add all of these to my wishlist – seriously, you’re killing me. You know I like my darker reads but I just throw in a book with a dog here and there and all’s good. I am TOTALLY thrown off by the pink cover with the unicorn. If I hadn’t seen it here, I would have totally written that book off.

That pink cover was the best thing for that book with that title! It’s definitely memorable to say the least, right? And I hear you, waiting for these is going t suck!

• I have The Vanishing Season and I can’t wait to read it, it does sound amazing!

• Charlotte says:

I’m not sure what that says about me, but I tend to favor the darker, more sinister novels, too. These sound really interesting. The premise of The Guide for Murdered Children sounds interesting and perhaps a bit unbelievable, but certainly a book I’d like to pick up. Thanks for sharing (side note–just finished The Marriage Pact which was also on the darker side, but so so good!).

• I have sympathy for the mad librarian! That sounds interesting…

• Lily says:

I thought The Vanishing Season and The Liar’s Girl both looked interesting myself, have not read a lot of serial killer books tho

• Hey V! Hope you are doing well. I’ve been extremely busy and stressed this entire month, hence my horrible attempts at blogging and being a social blogger in our little corner of the blogosphere. 😓 Sorry I’ve taken forever to visit back!

Criminal minds! I actually liked the series after a good way into season 1 but I petered out somewhere in season 4 I think. No particular reason and I’ve always wanted to go back to it, but it can get creepy!

I’m about 4 years behind in all my series watching though (with the exception of Game of Thrones and MKR). I guess I’ll catch up again one day!

I don’t like reading dark realistic books like serial killer books. I definitely prefer all my nastiness to come in the form of a fantasy world so I can disassociate it with ours more easily. I read to get away and relax, not freak myself out! 😂😂

I hope you’ve been doing well and I hope to catch up soon!!!

• OMG MAD Librarian looks so good! As a librarian who’s constantly at war with various granting agencies/boards, I totally get where Serenity’s coming from. The Liar’s Girl sounds absolutely chilling.