Bullet It!: Planning my life, one day at a time with a bullet journal

Bullet it! Book Review

I’m a planner. Or I try to be.

So when bullet journals started being mentioned on instagram and Buzzfeed  and Tumblr , I got curious. And as it turns out, it’s quite fun.

So what exactly is a bullet journal? It’s your to-do list, diary, sketchbook, if you are so inclined. You can track habits, or not. Or do whatever the hell you want. It’s entirely up to you how to decorate and set-up your bullet journal, or just don’t do any decorations and keep it all simple.

Bullet journal review

Thing is, I tried all of the above, and ended up with a straightforward journal/to-do list. But I am still curious.

I think what attracts me to this is that I want writing in this journal, planning to be me-time, in a way. To think about the things I have to do for the next day, the things I should have done and didn’t, or did accomplish. And, I have to admit, the prettiness, the creativity in all the links above make me a bit jealous because I wish I was that creative. And artistic.

Which is why Bullet it! is such a gem!

This little book contains perforated grid paper, which as it turns out makes it easy to all sorts of different fonts and drawing, AND there are even lessons on how to draw things like a camera! Which if you’re like me, you need these instructions. There are detachable images to stick wherever the hell you want because one thing the author Nicole Lara makes clear is that this is your journal, and nothing is out of bounds.

I’ve gone and bought a bunch of $2 gel pens in order to do some colouring, because yes, that’s in there too — and I am curious as to how long I keep going with it. I will say, the colouring? There’s something to it being a form of therapy to switch off at night.

Naturally, I’ve entirely forgotten to a tracker, or a monthly calendar, but I’ll get around to it sooner or later. I know it’s weird, but this is actually letting me have some fun with the whole idea of bullet journalling, without stressing out about anything.

Have you tried bullet journaling? What do you think of it? I mean, I’m sticking all my blogging and work-related stuff in it and seeing where it takes me.

• Silvia says:

I haven’t tried this one in particular yet, but I’m quite the planner and I have more than one (different) journal. Yes, I love it and I’ve been doing it since forever (no kidding, I started years before it became ‘trendy’). Pens, stickers, washi tapes, you name it, I use them all! And since it makes me feel soooo good, I regret nothing! Hehe, hope you keep having tons of fun journaling 🙂

Tell me more! I love hearing all the bits and pieces I’ve been missing out on since I started this. You know what else I realized? My handwriting kinda sucks ! But writing more is improving it. Also: fine liners are my friend lol

• I tried bullet journaling about six months ago. I love the concept of it but found myself getting so distracted by the decorating aspect of it, that it ended up making me less productive/organized than I already was. I ended up going back to a more straightforward planner. I hope it works out for you though. I know tons of people who love doing it.

I hear you, the decorating aspects can be intimidating. That’s why I like this, it gives a guide to stuff I never would have thought of on my own — like banners! But it makes it fun to try them out! I actually do need a diary/ planner in my life but I’ve never been able to keep at doing one. Maybe I need a bullet journal that has the decorating fun parts along with the dates etc 😂😂

• Years back I might have made use of something like this as I was always writing lists and planning things! Now I’m more of a ‘off the hoof’ kind of person!

I like the idea of bullet journaling. I love cutesy, crafty things, but I’m not really good at them, so I think my journal would look like a mess. But, my life really isn’t that busy, so I don’t know what I would journal about! I do love a good to-do list, though.

You could always use a journal to plan your blog posts, maybe? But I understand what you’re saying in need a reason to have one.

• I’m ordering this book as soon as possible. I did one for this year but I admit it’s been hit or miss. I’ve developed somewhat of a plan about what worked so I’ve started setting up 2018 – in fact, I started that last night. This book looks extremely helpful. Good luck!

I’d be curious about how you set yours up, Barb. The one bit I am still figuring out myself are the trackers, monthly calendars (I can’t remember the right word right now!) and so on. I know I change my mind about how to do those bits, so that’s actually the most trying aspect of it all — leaving enough pages for all of that stuff until I figure out what I’m doing!

• As an organizer, I love the idea of bullet point journals, but my handwriting is crap. So I am all digital all the time..lol

I think the same thing about mine! But with the journal, I have to work on making it better — big plus lol! I don’t get embarrassed if I have to write something for someone else to read!

• I have not tried bullet journaling myself, but I’ve heard all about it. Glad you’re having fun with it! That’s a great way of using, as me time to think about what you need to do and all that. And I can definitely see how coloring could be a soothing, mind-relaxing kinda thing.

I didn’t really know what a bullet journal was for a while! But they do look fun and are all the rage! And anything that organizes but also reduces stress sounds good to me. 🙂

This reminds me of the Wreck This Journal series, little books to help that creativity flow. I’ve always been interested in journalling but just don’t have the time or patience to really get creative. I’ve noticed a shift lately to plain, minimal style journalling lately and I’m completely on board. I want to be organised but not to spend great lengths of time to get there. Kind of defeats the purpose. This one looks adorable and will definitely be grabbing a copy <3

I only found out about The Wreck it Journal because I was looking into this one weirdly enough, but I love the crazy creativeness of that one — I think there’s one post about writing in the shower in it! The beauty of this one I found is that my entries are generally minimalist, but it’s making me braver in a way to try new creative things that it gives instructions on!

• I’ve always wanted to try bullet journaling, but my life is just to crazy right now to add one more thing to it. But this sounds like fun, I’m glad it’s working for you!

Thank you Tammy! It really is. And I am not forcing myself to do it every day or anything like that and sometimes switch to digital to do notes instead. It kinda all comes together!

• Oh how fun! I’d love to try a bullet journal, but I think something like this would be really handy. I have a regular paper planner but I LOVE it. It keeps me on track for things I need to do – on the blog and in real life – and I get to be creative with stickers, colored pens, etc.

I have a diary this past year, I used for like a couple of months and that’s it. And the Bujo isn’t quite as big, I guess? I don’t know. It was this or a planner actually lol

• I’m SOOOO into BuJo-ing now. Like seriously smitten! Have so much fun with it and it’s so relaxing. I posted twice about it so far, with a list of promts and supplies I use my bookstagram has caught the bug too. If you like BuJo-ing so much you would love the Amino app V! I can’t get enough of it. Love your pics so I’m checking out “Bullet it!” right now !

Oh, *high fives* Amino app? Is that the one with a heap of communities altogether in one app? Thank you for the heads up! Am downloading right now! I am off to check out your posts about it right now!

• Charlotte says:

I haven’t tried bullet journaling but I’m rather curious about it and wonder how it stacks up to a regular planner. I have one now that I love but I do think that sometimes there’s a lot of wasted space (personally, I don’t have any “to-dos” at 6 in the morning, lol). I love the idea of being able to color in the spaces too!

I hear you — I was just commenting above about a diary I only really used for a couple of months! And I hear you — 6 am is sleep time!