#5Books: Book recs and book covers and yes, faces on covers

#5Books for the week ending 13 August

In case you didn’t know, there is a lovely YA blog run by Australian bloggers right over here, where you will find a ton of Australian YA and some thoughtful posts, including one about book covers, which is also right over here.

So, there I was reading and came across something that made me realise that oh hey, there are other people who don’t like book covers with faces… it’s not just meeee!!

They just don’t work for me… it’s really not just me though is it? I fully expect to see someone in the book remind tie into the cover and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes the face doesn’t fit the description given and as much as I do want all the descriptions that help me form the picture of a character in the text, I don’t want a face peeking out at me from the cover. If it’s obscured, and it’s not entirely clear, I’m good. Yes, even for romances.

Am I weird? I rarely if ever pick up a book like this — do you feel about book covers like this?

First Person

I have a confession to make — I didn’t know Richard Flanagan won the Man Booker Prize and until I read this it hadn’t clicked he’s Australian too. Woops! But this is his newest book and kind of reminds me of the movie Ghost Writer, but you know this is a book. One day, notorious criminal Siegfried Heidl hires a young writer, Kif, to ghost write his memoirs. But here’s where things get darker: the blurb talks about Kif feeling he’s being corrupted by Heidl, but how? How and why does Kif feel that Heidl is rewriting him? If you check out the blurb, you’ll see a ton of interesting questions, with just enough to make me wonder what the hell is going on basically!

A Stranger in the House

Domestic noir is so my thing, and what caught me about the blurb here is that it’s the husband is talking about his wife: about her leaving the house in blind panic, about him worrying about her, and then the police finds her in a part of town he’s never expected her to be in. They suspect her of a crime, and then the husband starts to realise that he doesn’t know enough about her…

A Lesson in Violence which is actually She Rides Shotgun in the US

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the difference. What do you think? I mean, it’s about a young girl called Polly — who goes on the run with her father Nate. He’s just been let out of jail and takes her away from her normal life and on the run in order to save her life. She might save him too in her way, and yes, I am here for the father-daughter interaction. Still curious about the change in title — I think of titles as a bit of a bigger deal to change than covers — what do you think?

Jeremiah Jones Cowboy Sorcerer: Episode 1 (Cowboy Sorcerer, #1)

Guys, it’s a cowboy sorcerer. I couldn’t resist. the author H Duke first published this on Wattpad and then through Amazon, and here we are, and it’s a cowboy sorcerer. Called Jeremiah btw. He mines for magical ore and somehow or the other, he finds his truck broken down in a small town and in the middle of something with a young mechanic called Jeremy. Who in turn is trying to keep his father’s garage open and trying to stay out of the way of a drug lord who is making deals with the youth in the town for the obedience. So. This is a lean blurb because this is the first part of a serial. So I am hoping this comes with some epic worldbuilding because anything with the words cowboy sorcerer in them has to be IMO 🙂

And last, guys. Christmas. It’s showing… look!

Mr Dickens and his Carol

I don’t like Charles Dickens, and find most of his work to be utterly depressing. But, this is a  tale of how Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol and I don’t know why, it’s almost a little like the blurb made me cheerful about it. Which is a completely new feeling with regards to anything to do with Dickens, even A Christmas Carol.

What do you think? Is it too early for Christmas-themed books?

• I’m not a fan of vacant looking female faces or half naked people on book covers-it puts me right off. I REALLY hate book titles being changed. Several times I’ve bought books only to discover a changed blurb, cover and title means I’ve bought the same book twice! Grrr! I never read Christmas themed books so it’s always too early in the year for me!

That’s it, that’s the word I was looking for: “vacant”. It puts me right off, but if there’s something else working with the face or body, and it comes together i can make it work. Or ignore it lol The change in title is awful — after finding this book this week, I’m a little bit more diligent about them.

• So I just added the Sorcerer Cowboy book and the Dickens one to my wishlist. I’m not big on Dickens’ work either but it sounds like it might be a fun book to read around Christmastime. Also, I don’t like faces on the cover of books and think I mentioned it a few weeks back on books I’d redesign. Every once in a while they are done right but for the most part – nope!

Yes you did! Another one for no-faces-on-cover club! Dickens depresses me like crazy, but I don’t want to be depressed about Christmas so I am hoping this is good. And yes, Sorcerer Cowboy, SORCERER COWBOY Barb! Only time I’ll ever like a Western (Except for spellslinger!)

• I am a book cover person. I think the covers should match the story itself at least in someway. I find it a turn off when they have nothing to do with it. That and I buy the book only to have the covers change, then I have unmatching covers. Ugh…

I don’t mind unmatching covers, but I like unmatching everything pretty much lol But yeah, it’s got to match the story, at the bare minimum. You’d hope.

I’m typically not a fan of books with people on the cover either really, very few relate to the actual storyline and can look a little strange. I love Christmas themed books but tend to only read them in the lead up until Christmas. One of my favourites is Dash and Lily’s Book Of Dares, which takes place in New York at Christmas and it’s so lovely and atmospheric <3

It does annoy when I realise the cover has nothing actually to do with the book. I don’t generally like Christmas books, but making me smile at Dickens? I willing to see if that works for me lol I don’t know Book of Dares, I don’t think I love the title though!

• I don’t mind faces on people it if it the full body and kinds of at a distance. I don’t like close ups. I always hate when I don’t think they fit the description. And it is never too early for Christmas books 🙂

• You’re not alone. I really dislike when books have faces on the cover, especially if it’s a huge head shot like the cover for Everything You Want Me to Be. Even though I ended up really liking that book, I almost refused to even pick it up because of the cover, lol.

Great list of recommendations. That one about Charles Dickens has caught my eye a couple of times. I’ll definitely be reading that one. 🙂

I never in my life though I”d be up for a charles Dickens novel, but there you go lol. I had to go checkout the cover for Everything You Want Me to Be — thank goodness for extra big font. IT obscures the face enough for me to be curious to check it out!

• I live for these posts — you always have such great titles! A Stranger in the House sounds so good and creepy. I can see it being a major hit with library patrons.

Thank you! A Stranger in the House flips the script with domestic noir, so definitely high on my list for my next read.

• I like faces on covers only when they’re illustrated. Because then it IS the character, you get me? And it helps me envision them clearly. But I hate when it’s a real person’s face because that’s just some random person and usually doesn’t even match the description -_- It’s even worse when they’re on multiple covers.

A cowboy sorcerer?! I want! Except I don’t really do serials :-/ Maybe I’ll wait and see if it gets compiled. I’ve oddly been in the mood for SFF westerns lately. Odd because I’ve never been in the mood for westerns before. But I won an ebook of Dawn in Damnation and am getting a review copy of Berserker, so I’m looking forward to those as well!

Oh that’s a good point I didn’t think of before — art as a cover & faces. Interesting though — I have to figure out how I think about it. Harry Potter is the first thing that comes to mind — and I know some covers of the series are just nothing like the HP we know. YES a Cowboy sorcerer — I hope t does get compiled soon, it’d be easier than waiting on pins and needles for it. I’ve heard of Berserker too, but I’m not entirely sure whether it’s my cup of tea yet. I’m waiting for the reviews to come out.