Can’t Wait Wednesday: Dark Traces, a South African thriller

Can't wait Wednesday- What are book bloggers looking forward to reading next-

Waiting on Wednesdays has become Can’t Wait Wednesdays but the purpose is the same: for bloggers to highlight what they’re waiting on. This week I have: Dark Traces

Can't Wait Wednesday Dark Traces

Blurb: They find her body in the veld near Cape Town, South Africa. A teenager. She’s not the first. Recently widowed Detective Jan Magson has to look mothers and fathers in the eye. Has to answer their questions. He can’t. He can’t even answer his estranged son’s questions about how his wife died. Alone with his pistol at night, a good man faces his inner darkness. After obtaining degrees in Psychology and Criminology, Martin Steyn studied serial killers and profiling. Dark Traces is his first novel in English.

Yes, it’s a terribly short blurb and suitably dire but it’s set in South Africa and I am all for that! What country would you like to read a crime novel from?

• I recently picked up a zombie book set in Cape Town so I look forward to reading it. I love Cape Town…went there twice on holiday on my own so I know a lot of the city and thought it would be fun to finally read a zombie book in a place I’ve been to! Hope this one turns out good for you!

Oooh, What book is that? How’d you end up going to Cape Town for a holiday? It’s been so long since I’ve been there!

• I don’t think I’ve ever read a book set in South Africa before, so my interest is definitely piqued even with the tiny blurb. Great pick!

• I love the idea of the setting for this and I’m really craving books in exotic locations after reading “Akata Witch” earlier this week which is set in Nigeria. By the way, I think you’d enjoy that middle grade book. Thanks for sharing this one, now I’m off to add it to my wishlist!

• I haven’t heard of this, but I do love books set in ANY country outside the US! And some countries are just perfect for crime stories. I’ll definitely be looking into this, thanks for sharing!

• This is my kinda read! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Great pick!!!

Jenea’s Book Obsession’s Can’t-Wait Wednesday

• Laura says:

It sounds like it will be an interesting mystery. Hope you enjoy it!

• Though the blurb is short, it still sounds really interesting! It’s always great to see that the author has studied and gotten degrees in what they write about! Then you know things are mostly accurate. 😀 I hope you love it!!

• Maria Behar says:

I’ll answer your question first. I am not into crime novels, so I wouldn’t be interested in reading ANY crime novels, from ANY country! To me, crime fiction is VERY depressing, It’s nearly as bad as horror fiction, IMHO!

Well, having said all that, I do hope you enjoy this book, Verushka!! Hope your week is going very well, so far!!

Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my CWW post!! <3 <3 <3 : ) : ) : )

• Martin Steyn says:

Thank you, Verushka. I’m thrilled that you’ve chosen Dark Traces! I’ll tease some more info 😉

The forensic pathologist examines the girl’s body at the scene and notes from the furrow in her throat that she was hanged. Since hanging is extremely rare as a manner of murder, she immediately thinks of a case the previous year, also a teenage girl, also left in the veld, also hanged. This is when they suspect a serial killer and Warrant Officer Jan Magson is appointed as the investigating officer. In his fifties and still grieving for his wife, he doesn’t want this case, nor is he emotionally in the right place to deal with it. But his job is the only thing he has left. And serial killers don’t stop on their own.

I like Genni’s comment about “mostly accurate”. Complete accuracy is probably impossible unless you actually do policework for a living, but I did spend several hours talking to detectives, forensic pathologists and forensic experts trying to get as close as I could.

Hi Martyn, thank you for adding all those juicy details to the book! Research like you described always adds so much to a book and as an avid crime reader, I appreciate that so much.

Just reading the authors comment and I appreciate how much research has gone into the narration, it really makes for a more compelling and authentic read doesn’t it. It sounds a little bit gruesome, a whole lot sinister and I’m looking forward to grabbing a copy and reading. With the the lights on.

Definitely! Yes, probably gruesome, but loving the sinister vibe. Gruesome I can skip over if it gets too much, but the right sort of sinister vibe makes your heart beat faster!~