Waiting on Wednesday: Passing Strange

Can't wait Wednesday- What are book bloggers looking forward to reading next-

Waiting on Wednesday is held over at Breaking the Spine every week where people share the reads they’re looking forward to. This week mine is Passing Strange

Waiting on Wednesday Passing Strange

This cover mesmerised me the first time I saw it and still does. It’s hazy, I know, but there’s something magical about it. But, weirdly, also at odds with the blurb:

San Francisco in 1940 is a haven for the unconventional. Tourists flock to the cities within the city: the Magic City of the World’s Fair on an island created of artifice and illusion; the forbidden city of Chinatown, a separate, alien world of exotic food and nightclubs that offer “authentic” experiences, straight from the pages of the pulps; and the twilight world of forbidden love, where outcasts from conventional society can meet.

Six women find their lives as tangled with each other’s as they are with the city they call home. They discover love and danger on the borders where mystery, science, and art intersect.

Inspired by the pulps, film noir, and screwball comedy, Passing Strange is a story as unusual and complex as San Francisco itself from World Fantasy Award winning author Ellen Klages.

For a book about being unconventional, it’s an entirely conventional cover. But, it’s also slightly out of focus, you know? Then there’s the authentic experiences from pulp stories and the spaces where the unconventional meet. So how do these six unnamed women fit into all this?

What do you think of Passing Strange? In addition to everything above, it’s the idea of a combination of pulps, film noir AND screwball comedy that grabbed my attention.

• You are so right about the cover! I do like it, but it really doesn’t do that synopsis any justice. I am super intrigued by the setting. 1940s San Fransisco sounds like such a romantic time period. Thanks for sharing this one. 🙂

• I’ve known about this one for a while and even have an ARC from Tor. It does sound like a great read and there is something mesmerizing about the cover. I hope we both enjoy it.

Sounds like an interesting read! Although it is pretty, I probably wouldn’t have taken a second look at this book based on the cover, but the blurb has me intrigued!

I was in a weird mood Angela. I saw it and thought how magical it looked. Which for me is a weird reaction to have, I have to admit.

• I’d not heard of this book before! The cover is pretty – for some reason, the first thing I thought of was Taylor Swift’s Blank Space music video. LOL. I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a fantastic week, Verushka. =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

• Liz H. says:

That blurb definitely doesn’t match the cover, but it does sounds interesting. Maybe closer to its release we’ll find out more about the plot.

Thanks for sharing!

• Jack Williams says:

I got to read an advance copy, and it’s brilliant!

The cover is an illustration of a significant part of the book. When you get to that part, you’ll say, Aha! and everything will fit together.

• AngelErin says:

I don’t know if this is one for me, but I do love that cover! I hope you enjoy the book when you get a chance to read it.

• Eve says:

How had I not heard of this yet? It sounds so deliciously strange and beautiful! Have to put it on my TBR list now for sure!

• Sam Frost says:

I’ve heard about this one and it sounds so good! Great pick.

And thanks for stopping by my blog!

• Krystianna says:

This is the first that I’ve heard of this one but it sounds pretty good.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

• Suzanne says:

Okay, you have really gotten me curious about this book. Looking at each separately, I love both the cover and the description, but as you say, how exactly do they relate to each other because they almost seem like they’re a bit mismatched. I also don’t know that I’ve ever read a book set in San Francisco so I’m very intrigued by that setting as well. I’ll definitely be looking forward to your review on this book!