Book Blurbs: I genuinely do not know what this means

Book Blurbs I genuinely do not know what this means

This is the lead in to a book blurb:

This chilling novel from the bestselling, award-winning author of The Lake of Dead Languages blends the gothic allure of Daphne DuMaurier’s Rebecca and the crazed undertones of Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s The Yellow Wallpaper with the twisty, contemporary edge of A.S.A. Harrison’s The Silent Wife—a harrowing tale of psychological suspense set in New York’s Hudson Valley.

I genuinely do not know what this means. I know one author by name but not her work, and I don’t know the others at all. Granted, this is the lead in to a blurb, but … as I read it, I realised how quickly I lost interest in what this book is about.

Do book blurbs like this frustrate you?

• What even IS this!? YES these frustrate me to NO. END. That told me nothing about the book whatsoever! And even if you DID know what all those other books were like, what elements of those books do they even mean!? Like if you can’t come up with a decent synopsis without mentioning 3827 other books… my guess is, this one isn’t too original. Side eyeing for SURE.

YES! Unoriginal is another concern. It makes me want to tear my hair out… and, I have to admit, it’s intimidating: if I don’t recognise any books in the first part of the blurb, am I going to understand the book? Or the themes in it?

• Yep. When reading a blurb, I just want to know what the book is about. That’s it. Not comparisons, not what awards the author won, not reviews. If there’s too much of that or I’m just not in the mood to deal with it, sometimes I’ll just give up and move on before I even get to the actual blurb. I shouldn’t have to work just to find the damn description of the book.

Exactly! Why do we have to work to figure out a book?? The blurb is supposed to give us a taste of the goodness inside. Boo. I have no patience for this any more. I just move on.

My short answer is- yes. These blurbs drive me nuts. That one is especially bad though- referencing THREE books (and like you I have no idea about two of them)- by the time I was past that part I was tired and didn’t want to read anymore lol. The blurb writer got just a little carried away with the buzzwords too- could they fit any more in?

Isn’t it frustrating that book blurbs of all things now have something like corporate speak? With the names and the style/s? Generally, I’d expect a one book reference, but three was just so much overkill. Sheesh.

• Lily B says:

what on earth? what if you don’t know the authors..why do they do this? i HATE when they compare the book to others. Fans of this and this will love it – can’t you be original?

EXACTLY! Original blurbs please! Comparing like this is just lazy. Or they don’t know how else to sell the book?

• AngelErin says:

Can we just get a summary of what the book is about? UGH. ??

Oh there was one after all that, but I couldn’t be bothered dealing with it after this para. If your blurb isn’t strong enough to stand without 3 comparisons, then no thanks

• Sophia Rose says:

I recognize two of the three and they are not similar books at all so that lead in to the blurb is extremely confusing. I’ve noticed so many blurbs that say very little for all their words or others that say entirely too much giving away the big reveal no less. Guess it goes to show you that writing a blurb properly is sooo important.

Oh yes, it’s one of the most important bits of the book, I think. And I find they are either so cookie cutter, or ones like these — either comparing every book there is to this one, claiming it’s just like Gone Girl or Girl on the Train (bc I like mysteries) or just have excerpts from other authors reviewing this book which tell me so much of nothing. BAH